TAOS ALIVE IS A COMMUNITY EFFORT TO REDUCE SUBSTANCE ABUSE AMONGST YOUTH IN TAOS COUNTY
- Mission: Taos Alive Coalition unites the community to plan and implement strategies that prevent and reduce substance use and its consequences among Taos County youth.
- Vision: Taos County youth will live in a community that is safe, secure and drug-free.
Taos Alive uses the Strategic Prevention Framework Model suggested by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) . The image below indicates how large of an issue alcohol abuse is in New Mexico. Since the issue of substance abuse is a large topic, we have narrowed our focus to make an impact in these areas. As a coalition, we identified two substances to focus on amongst Taos Youth: Alcohol Abuse & Opioid Misuse.
Within this model, we use evidence based strategies to create efficient ways to address issues. By using the data we collect throughout the years from different surveys and statistics on Taos County, we are able to focus on the Local Conditions that create the Problem (ie. Alcohol & Opioid Abuse) and then we create different Environmental Strategies that affect the Local Conditions that help to decrease Alcohol & Substance Abuse. Taos Alive Coalition focuses on Environmental Strategies 4-7 in the image below.
Here are a few examples of Environmental Strategies that we are working on this month in our Alcohol Policy Workgroup :
- collaborating with local retailers to segregate the liquor section to decrease youth theft of alcohol
- reaching out to restaurants to provide Alcohol Beverage Service Training for their Staff Members to reduce underage serving or over-serving alcohol past a guest's limit.
- working with the town to have Informational Booths for Prevention Messaging to incorporate into town events
Last month, one of the major Environmental Strategies we worked on for Opioid Prevention Misuse was "Rx Drug Take Back Day" which helped to raise awareness around the importance of disposing of unused prescription drugs
as well as the Year Round Drop Off Locations.
* To learn more abut our Strategic Plan or to Get Involved with the Taos Alive Coalition visit TAOSALIVE.ORG